1 (edited by mattande 2015-02-06 15:56:05)

Topic: CyaSSL_KeyPemToDer() fails for public key

It appears that parsing of public keys in PEM format is not supported.

My goal is to have a user supply a public key in PEM format which is then used for verification of signed firmware update files.

I have also tried exporting the public key to DER format and loading with RsaPublicKeyDecode() but RsaSSL_Verify() is failing with RSA_PAD_E (-201). I've added the preprocessor define RSA_DECODE_EXTRA to enable parsing the public key from the DER. The key and signature is 2048 bits in length.

The signature is being generated with openssl:
openssl dgst -sha1 -out build/firmware.bin.sign -sign private.pem firmware.bin

Re: CyaSSL_KeyPemToDer() fails for public key

To update, I've resolved the problem of RsaSSL_Verify() returning error codes by adding USE_FAST_MATH and TFM_TIMING_RESISTANT to my build preprocessor definitions.

Which platform are you running on? Are you using the configure script to set up the build, or is it through an IDE of some kind?

The target is a STM32F417 with gcc arm-elf cross compiler. No configure script; options are set using settings.h

I'm not certain why the more portable bigint library did not work for me. I am confident that there are no stack or heap issues. I noticed that many of the other embedded targets (ie. PIC32) define USE_FAST_MATH and TFM_TIMING_RESISTANT and when including these implementations RsaSSL_Verify() is working correctly when loading the public key from a DER file.

Still CyaSSL_KeyPemToDer() fails because there is no attempt to match the PEM public key header "-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----" etc. I didn't look into it further than this, but if I revisit this software and implement reading a public key from PEM format I will send a pull request.